“Satisfy us with your unfailing love that we may sing for joy”
1. Mountains and trees sing and shout for joy (if you can believe it). They declare the pleasure and delight of God by displaying his splendor, his greatness, and his power. (89:12, 96:12)
2. When God helps us triumph over our enemies, we shout and sing for joy in the work he’s done on our behalf. Not only in war, but in his unfailing compassion and grace after we act unrighteously or rebelliously. It is by his deeds and nature we are made glad. (66:1, 67:4, 71:24, 81:1, 92:4)
3. Comfort and consolation during grief and anxiety from God brings us joy because of the truth of his sovereignty in trials. (94:19)
4. We can call each other to sing for joy over the wonderful things God has done. (95:1)
5. And yet again it is God who is our source of joy and we ask him to satisfy us in our time of need and plenty. That satisfaction in his unfailing love (who he is and what he’s given us) is what gives us that fulfilling and satisfactory joy for all of our days. (86:4, 90:14, 92:4)
Biblical Joy: to be satisfied and find pleasure in who God is and what He has given us- D.A. Carson. This is why the pursuit of Joy is really the pursuit of God and glorifying Him for all that He is and does with all that we are and do.
Until next time :)